• The policy known as HO3 insures the described owner-occupied dwelling, private structures in connection with the dwelling, personal property on and away from the premises, and loss of use.
  • Personal liability coverage and medical payments coverage are also provided by this policy.
  • Losses to the dwelling and other structures are paid on a replacement cost basis, with no deduction for depreciation if certain conditions apply.
  • Losses to personal property are paid on an actual cash value basis, unless amended by endorsement.
  • Flood insurance is not included in an HO3 policy, and windstorm insurance may or may not be included.


  • The policy known as HO6 is like a regular home-owner’s policy, but for a condominium unit.
  • HO6 insurance policies cover the interior of the unit and personal property inside from the expressly stated named perils in the policy.
  • Your property is covered for full replacement value or actual cash value depending on how your policy is written.
  • Flood insurance is not included in an HO6 policy, and windstorm insurance may or may not be included.

Dwelling Fire

  • The term “dwelling fire” refers to a basic fire policy designed to insure a dwelling (shelter or structure), and is utilized by landlords, who may not have any interest in insuring the contents of a particular dwelling.
  • Contents coverage is available for an additional cost.
  • As a consumer you will likely be required to purchase a replacement cost policy if you have a mortgage, as this ensures the bank that their asset will be rebuilt in the event of a total loss.


  • The policy known as HO4 covers tenants from loss of personal property and covers liability insurance for the house or apartment.
  • It does not cover the actual house or apartment that is being rented; that property is covered by the landlord’s insurance policy.
  • It is a comparatively inexpensive policy that provides beneficial coverage and security.


  • Also sometimes referred to as hurricane insurance, windstorm insurance is a special type of property insurance that protects policyholders from property damage caused by windstorms.
  • It is common in certain parts of Florida to be required to have a separate windstorm insurance policy, as many homeowner policies specifically exclude wind damage coverage.
  • The deductible on wind policies will usually be computed as a percentage of the dwelling value not a percentage of the loss.

Flood Insurance

  • Homeowners’ insurance policies do not cover flooding, so the occupant must purchase a separate policy for protection against flood damage.
  • For properties in high-risk areas, lenders require mortgaged homeowners to carry flood insurance to protect the structure.
  • It is up to the homeowner whether to purchase additional coverage for the property’s contents.
  • Flood insurance can be purchased through many different insurance companies, but all policies are federally regulated by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), so the same policy costs the same amount no matter which company it is purchased through.
  • There may be private flood insurance available in certain areas. These policies may be issued by non-admitted carriers that are not regulated by the State of Florida.
  • Under the current NFIP, the maximum amount available for residential building coverage is $250,000 and $100,000 for personal property.

DownLoad our comprehensive guide

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This